This is the online version of our daily newsletter, The Morning Win. Subscribe to get irreverent and incisive sports stories, delivered to your mailbox every morning.
I’ve watched a ton of basketball games in my life and I can’t remember being in awe of an inbounds pass all that often.
Then Thursday night happened.
If you missed it, the Raptors basically saved their season with a 104-103 win over the Celtics courtesy of a 3-point buzzer beater by OG Anunoby. It was a stunning shot and a wild ending that happened moments after Boston had taken a 103-101 lead with just 0.5 seconds left.
But then Kyle Lowry took the ball from an official and threw a looping dime over 7-foot-5 Celtics center Tacko Fall and the Raptors had new life.
Lowry’s inbounds pass – over TACKO FALL – was a thing of absolute perfection that NFL QBs like Patrick Mahome and Tom Brady would be proud of. What’s even more impressive is that Anunoby wasn’t the first option but Lowry was still able to find him all the way across the court with everything on the line and a giant man jumping up and down in front of him.
His pass had NBA fans in awe and it looked even cooler from this angle shot inside the arena.
But more importantly, it saved the defending champs and gives them new life as they go into Game 4 trailing the series 2-1 instead of 3-0.
Thursday’s biggest winner (Besides the Raptors): LeBron James.
King James was enjoying his Thursday in Orlando when ESPN’s Jay Williams said that LeBron was Dwyane Wade’s Scottie Pippen… and LeBron had a perfect response.
Quick hits: Tony Reali opens up on anxiety attacks… Steve Nash’s stunning new job… Twitter needs to stop promoting canceled games… And more!
– ESPN’s Tony Reali delivered a powerful message about some intense anxiety attacks that he suffered last week.
– The NBA world was completely stunned when Steve Nash was named the new head coach of the Brooklyn Nets.
– Twitter keeps promoting college football games that aren’t happening and fans are not impressed.
– Madison Brengle chugged a tiny bottle of wine after pulling off U.S. Open upset.
– Nintendo’s Super Mario 3D All-Stars pack had fans excited and confused at the same time.