WIth the coronavirus pandemic showing no signs of slowing down and sports across the country disclosing positive tests from their athletes and employees, WWE on Monday night announced it has now joined that unfortunate club. WWE has confirmed that one of its developmental talents, who last appeared at its Performance Center on June 9, has tested positive for COVID-19.

“A developmental talent, who was last on site at WWE’s training facility on Tuesday, June 9, has tested positive for COVID-19. Since that time, no other individuals that attended the facility have reported symptoms,” said Dr. Jeffrey Dugas, the WWE’s associate medical director.

WWE does not clarify whether that talent was working out at the facility or involved in its television production. The company has recently been using developmental talent to create a crowd-like atmosphere at its TV tapings.

As a reaction to the positive test, WWE has decided to test all of its talent and employees who have been on site at recent tapings in Orlando, Florida, for COVID-19 “out of an abundance of caution and to ensure the health and safety of the company’s performers and staff.”

To this point, WWE had only been conducting temperature checks with talent and employees also answering questionnaires before entering the Performance Center for television and pay-per-view tapings.

Back in April, a WWE employee who was not an in-ring performer tested positive for coronavirus. However, that person had not visited the Performance Center or interacted with talent or other employees after being in contact with the individual who transmitted the virus, and they have since made a “complete recovery.”

WWE stopped touring in March but has never stopped taping shows as sports, entertainment and media — including professional wrestling — was deemed “essential business” by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

A company source previously told CBS Sports that WWE planned to begin conducting COVID-19 tests at some point once the tests became more readily available and reliable, though a start date was not set for that process to begin.

WWE executive Paul “Triple H” Levesque has previously stressed that WWE was taking strict precautions approved by medical professionals despite not directly testing for coronavirus due to the lack of rapid response time and reliability.

It is unknown whether COVID-19 tests will now be the standard for the company ahead of each taping. 

WWE taped multiple episodes of television on Monday night. It will resume taping once the results of its COVID-19 tests are received.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here