- Jose Bautista punched in the jaw during huge brawl with Rangers – Watch
- NASCAR revises lug nut policy after Stewart’s criticism – Details
- Harden should’ve been called for foul on game-winner NBA says – Details
- Jason Whitlock calls Kobe Bryant a fraudulent celebrity athlete ‘Watch’
- Jason Heyward Bees Attack Delays Cubs-Mariners Game “Watch”
- Tray Walker: “Ravens cornerback” Dies of Injuries From Dirt Bike Crash, sad day for NFL
- Victor Cruz Willing To Accept Pay Cut To Stay With New York Giants “Details”
- Orioles ban pie celebrations due to safety concerns ‘Details’
- Marc Gasol: “Memphis Grizzlies center” out the rest of the season
- Vince Carter matches Drummond with impressive 3/4 court shot – Watch
Walnuts may provide healthy ageing benefits, Says New Study
- Updated: June 28, 2016
Women who eat a handful of walnuts each week are more active and independent in old age, research suggests.
Women tend to be more active and independent when they consume walnuts, said the results of a study published in the Journal of Nutrition. The research surveyed about 50,000 nurses over 30 years between 1992 and 2008. Those who ate walnut halves once or twice a week reduced the need of getting elderly care.
The participants answered questions about their physical function, including their ability to perform their everyday tasks such as carrying groceries. Measurement of the participants’ dietary habits and challenges in mobility. The Alternative Healthy Eating Index as their tool for incorporating foods and nutrients predictive of their chronic disease risk.
However, the research only focused on the effects of walnuts on women which may not generally apply to men.
A statement from Dr. Francine Grodstein, Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School, reads:
“These results add to the large body of evidence that outlines the many benefits of a healthy diet for women. Additional research is needed to better understand how diet and lifestyle choices can help maintain our health and well-being as we age.”
Compared to other nuts, walnuts are rich in protective antioxidants. A handful of walnuts contained twice as much as many free radical fighting antioxidants as compared to any eaten nut.
These wonder nuts are also a great way to load up healthy unsaturated fats. It can help you maintain your ideal weight in the long run. Prevent cellular damage, heart disease, cancer and premature aging can be prevented by the antioxidants it contains. Omega-3 fatty acids are abundant in these nuts, which are much needed in the body.
So if you’re looking for a superfood that can help you age gracefully. Add these nuts to your meal by including them in your whole grain cereal. Try making your own walnut butter by mixing it together with some honey and cinnamon to add flavor.