- Jose Bautista punched in the jaw during huge brawl with Rangers – Watch
- NASCAR revises lug nut policy after Stewart’s criticism – Details
- Harden should’ve been called for foul on game-winner NBA says – Details
- Jason Whitlock calls Kobe Bryant a fraudulent celebrity athlete ‘Watch’
- Jason Heyward Bees Attack Delays Cubs-Mariners Game “Watch”
- Tray Walker: “Ravens cornerback” Dies of Injuries From Dirt Bike Crash, sad day for NFL
- Victor Cruz Willing To Accept Pay Cut To Stay With New York Giants “Details”
- Orioles ban pie celebrations due to safety concerns ‘Details’
- Marc Gasol: “Memphis Grizzlies center” out the rest of the season
- Vince Carter matches Drummond with impressive 3/4 court shot – Watch
San Francisco’s Paid Family Leave Law: Increasing parental leave isn’t just good for parents
- Updated: April 7, 2016
Dads Are Big Winners In San Francisco’s Paid Family Leave Law.
San Francisco has become the first city in the US to approve six weeks of fully paid leave for new parents.
The law was passed unanimously on Tuesday by the city’s Board of Supervisors.
Mothers and fathers, including same-sex couples, who either bear or adopt a child will be covered by the ordinance.
The state of California currently already pays about 55% of a worker’s salary for six weeks when they take parental leave.
The San Francisco measure requires employers with at least 20 employees to make up the other 45%.
Mayor Ed Lee is expected to sign legislation, which takes full effect in 2018.
“The vast majority of workers in this country have little or no access to paid parental leave, and that needs to change,” said Supervisor Scott Wiener, who introduced the measure.
His office said 12% of workers across the US receive paid family leave through their employers.
San Francisco already offers 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave to its approximately 30,000 city employees.
Technology companies in Silicon Valley have boosted family leave benefits to attract the best talent.
Netflix offers up to a year paid family leave, Facebook four months and Microsoft eight weeks.