- Rougned Odor contract extension by giving him two horses
- Jose Bautista punched in the jaw during huge brawl with Rangers – Watch
- NASCAR revises lug nut policy after Stewart’s criticism – Details
- Harden should’ve been called for foul on game-winner NBA says – Details
- Jason Whitlock calls Kobe Bryant a fraudulent celebrity athlete ‘Watch’
- Jason Heyward Bees Attack Delays Cubs-Mariners Game “Watch”
- Tray Walker: “Ravens cornerback” Dies of Injuries From Dirt Bike Crash, sad day for NFL
- Victor Cruz Willing To Accept Pay Cut To Stay With New York Giants “Details”
- Orioles ban pie celebrations due to safety concerns ‘Details’
- Marc Gasol: “Memphis Grizzlies center” out the rest of the season
Rockies, Padres game briefly interrupted by bee swarm (Watch)
- Updated: April 1, 2017
The Padres game vs. the Rockies was momentarily delayed today due to a swarm of bees in Peoria Stadium.
Players and umpires dropped down on their stomachs, and some took cover in the ninth inning as the bees made their way over part of the infield at the Peoria Sports Complex.
According to The Associated Press, those who hit the deck on TV included Padres pitcher Trey Wingenter, Rockies batter Daniel Castro and home plate umpire Alex Tosi.
The bee swarm brought concern from the TV announcers:
Tons of bugs now around home plate!
Uh oh. We’re getting a swarm on the field.
So, the bees on the move apparently.
I’ve never seen this in my entire life. I’ve never seen that. That’s like a nuclear bomb drill.
Oh my gosh!
I think that started to come across from home plate.
After about 30 seconds, the swarm passed, and the game resumed.
Rockies manager Bud Black later told MLB.com reporter Jesse Sanchez: “All of a sudden I saw something happened over here where all the players got on the ground. It was remnants of Petco Park a few years ago, remember? The beekeeper had to come down to the left field corner. Yeah, that was about 20, 30 minutes.”
Readers on Mediaite.com offered their takes:
Now I see what all the buzz was about.
AZ wildlife is no joke!
I like the ground crews design on the green. They used to make the Arch at Busch Stadium and they don’t anymore, kinds grinds my gears.
Looks like Trump’s folks trying to duck the investigation.
Hive never seen that before. I can’t beelieve it. What a buzz kill.
When I saw a video of this yesterday, then at first I was like, “WTF is going on?” Then I realize there are a bunch of bees behind home plate, then saw other pictures with a swarm camping out on the mics behind home plate. Crazy stuff, and we got some good memes from the still image of the players ducking on the ground.
“A bee’s favorite sport is rug-bee.”
Mediaite.com notes that this was the Padres’ last spring training game of the year in Peoria. They return in 10 months, hopefully without the bees.
Well this is something you don't see everyday 🐝 pic.twitter.com/W9PEdHW8dK
— San Diego Padres (@Padres) March 30, 2017