- Jose Bautista punched in the jaw during huge brawl with Rangers – Watch
- NASCAR revises lug nut policy after Stewart’s criticism – Details
- Harden should’ve been called for foul on game-winner NBA says – Details
- Jason Whitlock calls Kobe Bryant a fraudulent celebrity athlete ‘Watch’
- Jason Heyward Bees Attack Delays Cubs-Mariners Game “Watch”
- Tray Walker: “Ravens cornerback” Dies of Injuries From Dirt Bike Crash, sad day for NFL
- Victor Cruz Willing To Accept Pay Cut To Stay With New York Giants “Details”
- Orioles ban pie celebrations due to safety concerns ‘Details’
- Marc Gasol: “Memphis Grizzlies center” out the rest of the season
- Vince Carter matches Drummond with impressive 3/4 court shot – Watch
RECALL: Frozen fruit and vegetable products may contain Listeria “Details”
- Updated: May 5, 2016
A recall of frozen vegetables and fruit because of Listeria fears has been widened to cover more than 350 different products sold under 42 different brand names, federal officials say.
“More than 350 products sold under 42 brands are included in the recall. The products were sold in all 50 states and Canada. Several major retailers’ brands are part of the recall, including: Costco, Costco Canada, Walmart, Safeway and Trader Joe’s,” according to Food Safety News.
The Pasco, Washington-based company is now recalling all of its frozen fruit and vegetable products.
The initial recall involved 15 frozen vegetable products.
“We are performing this voluntary recall in cooperation with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) because these products have the potential to be contaminated with listeria monocytogenes,” the May 2 announcement said. “The organism can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people and others with weakened immune systems.”
The announcement said the affected products have best-by date or sell-by dates between April 26, 2016, and April 26, 2018. The recall includes 358 products under 42 brands.
WHY THE RECALL IS HAPPENING
The CDC has said it notified the company that seven people from three states have been hospitalized due to listeria. Two of those hospitalized later died.
In healthy adults, listeria may cause short-term symptoms like a fever, severe headache, nausea or abdominal pain. The infection can be more serious and even deadly in children or other people with weakened immune systems. Listeria can also cause miscarriage or stillbirth in pregnant women.
Customers can return the products to the store from which they were purchased for a full refund or throw them away.
The company halted operations at its Pasco, facility after the initial recall for a thorough review.
HOW TO KNOW IF YOUR PRODUCT HAS BEEN RECALLED
Recalled products “include organic and non-organic broccoli, butternut squash, carrots, cauliflower, corn, edamame, green beans, Italian beans, kale, leeks, lima beans, onions, peas, pepper strips, potatoes, potato medley, root medley, spinach, sweet potatoes, various vegetable medleys, blends, and stir fry packages, blueberries, cherries, cranberries, peaches, raspberries, and strawberries.”