Pacquiao surgery goes smoothly, expected to resume career next year

Pacquiao surgery goes smoothly, expected to resume career next year

Pacquiao underwent successful surgery on his right shoulder on Thursday in Las Angeles (the name of the hospital where the surgery occurred has not been disclosed).

Los Angeles orthopaedic surgeon Dr Neal ElAttrache, who performed the operation to repair a torn rotator cuff, said he could “not be more pleased with the results” and expects the boxer to make a full recovery.

Pacquiao, the former eight-division world champion, lost a unanimous decision to Mayweather in Las Vegas last weekend in the richest prize fight in boxing history.

The Filipino is facing possible disciplinary action from Nevada boxing officials for failing to disclose the injury before Saturday’s fight with Mayweather.

The Nevada state attorney general’s office is to investigate why Pacquiao ticked ‘no’ a day before the fight on a commission questionnaire asking if he had an injury.

Pacquiao could be fined or suspended for not answering the question accurately on the form he filled out himself just before Friday’s weigh-in.

Two boxing fans have also filed a class-action lawsuit against Pacquiao over his failure to disclose the injury.

Nevada residents Stephane Vanel and Kami Rahbaran are said to be suing on behalf of “all persons who purchased tickets; purchased the pay-per-view event; or who wagered money on the event.”

They are seeking more than $5m from Pacquiao because stories of a serious shoulder problem only surfaced after he had lost on points in what had been dubbed ‘the Fight of the Century’.

Their suit is against Pacquiao, promoters Top Rank and manager Michael Koncz for allegedly fraudulently concealing the Filipino’s injury before Saturday’s fight.