- Jose Bautista punched in the jaw during huge brawl with Rangers – Watch
- NASCAR revises lug nut policy after Stewart’s criticism – Details
- Harden should’ve been called for foul on game-winner NBA says – Details
- Jason Whitlock calls Kobe Bryant a fraudulent celebrity athlete ‘Watch’
- Jason Heyward Bees Attack Delays Cubs-Mariners Game “Watch”
- Tray Walker: “Ravens cornerback” Dies of Injuries From Dirt Bike Crash, sad day for NFL
- Victor Cruz Willing To Accept Pay Cut To Stay With New York Giants “Details”
- Orioles ban pie celebrations due to safety concerns ‘Details’
- Marc Gasol: “Memphis Grizzlies center” out the rest of the season
- Vince Carter matches Drummond with impressive 3/4 court shot – Watch
New crab species discovered in Chinese Fish market by Scientists
- Updated: September 9, 2016
Scientists have discovered a colourful new species of freshwater crab, which is also the first of an entirely new genus – the taxonomic rank above species – hiding in plain sight in a Chinese pet market.
According to a press release, three researchers from the University of South Wales in Australia, The Australian Museum, Sun Yat-sen University in China and National Ching Hsing University in Taiwan have taken an interest in the freshwater crabs being sold in the pet market. The researchers noticed that the freshwater crabs have an unusually structured male gonopod, which in crustaceans is a swimming appendage modified to serve as a reproductive organ.
Due to crab’s peculiarities, lead author Chao Huang persuaded a local fish dealer to take them to the collection site located in northern Guangdong, southern China. The researchers surveyed the collection site and collected some sample of the crabs.
DNA testing and molecular analyses have confirmed that the freshwater crabs being sold as pet in China belongs to a new species and genus.
The new species and new genus of freshwater crabs found in China is described in a paper published in the journal ZooKeys. Due to its apparent preference to the pools of limestone hillstreams, the new freshwater crab was named Yuebeipotamon calciatile, in which calciatile means living on limestone.
The new genus possesses a distinctive combination of carapace, ambulatory leg, male thoracic sternal, male abdominal and gonopodal characters that distinguish it from these and other genera.