- Jose Bautista punched in the jaw during huge brawl with Rangers – Watch
- NASCAR revises lug nut policy after Stewart’s criticism – Details
- Harden should’ve been called for foul on game-winner NBA says – Details
- Jason Whitlock calls Kobe Bryant a fraudulent celebrity athlete ‘Watch’
- Jason Heyward Bees Attack Delays Cubs-Mariners Game “Watch”
- Tray Walker: “Ravens cornerback” Dies of Injuries From Dirt Bike Crash, sad day for NFL
- Victor Cruz Willing To Accept Pay Cut To Stay With New York Giants “Details”
- Orioles ban pie celebrations due to safety concerns ‘Details’
- Marc Gasol: “Memphis Grizzlies center” out the rest of the season
- Vince Carter matches Drummond with impressive 3/4 court shot – Watch
Matt Barnes fined $35K by NBA for inappropriate violence comment “Details”
- Updated: January 19, 2016
Matt Barnes has been fined $35,000 for inappropriate public comments that are detrimental to the best interests of the NBA, it was announced today by Kiki VanDeWeghe, Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations.
The fine was announced Sunday, a day after Memphis beat the Knicks 103-95 in the teams’ first meeting since the league suspended Barnes for two games for fighting with New York coach Derek Fisher in October.
NBA vice president for basketball operations Kiki VanDeWeghe says in a statement: “Matt Barnes’ comments condoning violence do not reflect who we are as a league or the character of our players. His words are unacceptable and entirely inconsistent with the core principles of this game and the NBA.”
According to the Commercial Appeal, Barnes said at the Grizzlies’ pregame shootaround: “Violence is never the answer, but sometimes it is.”
Barnes and Fisher stayed away from each other Saturday night.
Sportact Editors and Wire Services