Lakeisha Holloway: Las Vegas Crash Driver charged with Murder

Updated: December 22, 2015
Lakeisha Holloway: Las Vegas Crash Driver charged with Murder

Lakeisha Holloway, 24, identified as suspect in deadly Las Vegas crash.

A woman mowed down dozens of pedestrians on the Las Vegas Strip, killing one, before asking a valet to call the police.

People jumped on the car and banged on its windows, but Lakeisha Holloway, 24, would not stop driving on the sidewalk, Sheriff Joe Lombardo told reporters.

Lakeisha Holloway is in custody and facing one count of murder with the use of a deadly weapon, the district attorney’s office said. She may face additional charges including multiple counts of attempted murder with the use of a deadly weapon, child abuse and neglect and leaving the scene of an accident.

Officials say they have ruled out terrorism as a possible motive. However, they do believe the incident was “an intentional act,” based upon the car’s movements. The suspect went up on the sidewalk “two, maybe three times,” according to police.

The sheriff said she was very stoic and didn’t appear to be “distressed” from her actions.

“The video [of the incident] obviously shows intention,” the sheriff said today.

Holloway had been in Las Vegas for about a week and living in a car, officials said today. She said it was her car, but the car was registered to another person in Oregon, officials said.

Lakeisha Holloway could be in court as early as Tuesday, the district attorney’s office said. The investigation is ongoing, the sheriff said.

Jessica Valenzuela, 32, of Buckeye, Arizona, died from the accident, the Clark County, Nevada, Coroner’s Office said today. The cause and manner of death are pending.

Over 30 people were hospitalized, officials said today, and three people remain in critical condition.

The female suspect drove off after the incident, but police caught up with her and she was detained, Clark County officials said.

A 3-year-old girl was in the suspect’s car at the time of the crash, but the child was unharmed, police said.

Sportact Editors and Wire Services