- Jose Bautista punched in the jaw during huge brawl with Rangers – Watch
- NASCAR revises lug nut policy after Stewart’s criticism – Details
- Harden should’ve been called for foul on game-winner NBA says – Details
- Jason Whitlock calls Kobe Bryant a fraudulent celebrity athlete ‘Watch’
- Jason Heyward Bees Attack Delays Cubs-Mariners Game “Watch”
- Tray Walker: “Ravens cornerback” Dies of Injuries From Dirt Bike Crash, sad day for NFL
- Victor Cruz Willing To Accept Pay Cut To Stay With New York Giants “Details”
- Orioles ban pie celebrations due to safety concerns ‘Details’
- Marc Gasol: “Memphis Grizzlies center” out the rest of the season
- Vince Carter matches Drummond with impressive 3/4 court shot – Watch
Grandmother deadlifts 225? Shirley Webb, 78, can deadlift 225 pounds “Watch”
- Updated: April 1, 2016
Super strong 78-year-old grandmother deadlifts 225 pounds with ease.
A clip of 78-year-old grandmother Shirley Webb deadlifting 225lbs without breaking a sweat has left people shaking their heads after it was shared on Instagram by her trainer John Wright yesterday.
Two years ago, grandmother Shirley’s only from of exercise came from mowing the lawn every once in a while. She couldn’t get up off the floor without help and had to hold onto the bannister for support when she climbed the stairs.
But then she joined Club Fitness in Wood River, Illinois with her granddaughter, and got herself a trainer.
She now goes to the gym two times a week and regularly deadlifts over 200 pounds. That’s the same weight as the average giant panda. Or a Vespa scooter.
‘She’s gotten to the point where everybody greets her and is just absolutely impressed,’ trainer John told ESPN. ‘She inspires everybody that goes to the gym and it’s fun to see that.’
Last November, grandmother Shirley set the Illinois record for deadlifting at 237 pounds in her age and weight group.
She even got a shout-out yesterday from NFL player and heavy lifter JJ Watt, who wrote: ‘I’m just trying to live to 78, much less deadlift at 78. Touché to you Shirley! #BeastMode’.
— JJ Watt (@JJWatt) March 29, 2016
And the supergran, who turns 79 in August, has caught the weightlifting bug. ‘I have no intention of stopping right now,’ she says. ‘When I go to the gym and work out, when I leave, I feel so much better than I did when I went in, and I just feel so good. I feel tremendous.’
Hats off to you Shirley.
— ABC7 Eyewitness News (@ABC7) March 30, 2016