- Jose Bautista punched in the jaw during huge brawl with Rangers – Watch
- NASCAR revises lug nut policy after Stewart’s criticism – Details
- Harden should’ve been called for foul on game-winner NBA says – Details
- Jason Whitlock calls Kobe Bryant a fraudulent celebrity athlete ‘Watch’
- Jason Heyward Bees Attack Delays Cubs-Mariners Game “Watch”
- Tray Walker: “Ravens cornerback” Dies of Injuries From Dirt Bike Crash, sad day for NFL
- Victor Cruz Willing To Accept Pay Cut To Stay With New York Giants “Details”
- Orioles ban pie celebrations due to safety concerns ‘Details’
- Marc Gasol: “Memphis Grizzlies center” out the rest of the season
- Vince Carter matches Drummond with impressive 3/4 court shot – Watch
Georges Laraque: Former NHL enforcer helps thwart kidnapping attempt
- Updated: May 24, 2016
Georges Laraque helped detain a man who allegedly attempted to kidnap a seven-year-old girl in a Montreal park on Saturday afternoon.
Georges Laraque was playing in a charity baseball game when a man allegedly tried to snatch a 7-year-old girl from the park. The former NHLer was among dozens who surrounded the 24-year-old suspect and detained him before police could arrive at the scene.
“It was surreal,” Georges Laraque told CBC Montreal. “The park was full of people everywhere. Everybody saw it. There were so many witnesses when it happened.”
Police say the suspect did not carry the girl too far before being surrounded.
Georges Laraque and other players ran toward the suspect after hearing screams. Family members and other witnesses also intervened.
“I just wanted to make sure that if he got up that I was going to tackle him right away,” said Georges Laraque, a veteran of 13 seasons and 100 fights in the NHL.
The 24-year-old is in police custody and might undergo a psychiatric evaluation this week, Montreal police Constable André Leclerc said. Police said he met with investigators Saturday who will file a report with Quebec’s Crown prosecutor.
The suspect is not known to police, Leclerc said. He could face charges as early as Monday.
Drafted by Edmonton in 1995 (2/31). Acquired in a trade with Phoenix in 2007. Georges Laraque is one of the most feared players in the NHL if you happen to be a player in the opposing jersey, yet considered one of the most gregarious ‘nice’ guys off the ice.
Georges Laraque is a true professional adhering to the ethical dimension of being the caretaker on the Canadiens team, ensuring that his teammates are well protected. Considered the true heavyweight in the NHL, this is not a true reflection of his game.
Georges Laraque is unstoppable on the rush, and in the corners, the puck is his to keep. His motto in the corners is “come and get it if you can.” Offensively, Georges knows how to score, witness his hat trick against the LA Kings.
Georges Laraque can set the tone and change the momentum of the game when his team needs him. He is focused on improving his game and trains hard. Off the ice, he loves to greet fans with his happy, go lucky nature.