Chyna: wrestler died from “accidental overdose” – Details

Updated: April 29, 2016
Chyna: wrestler died from 'accidental overdose'

Former WWE wrestler Joan “Chyna” Laurer likely died of an accidental overdose, mixing a prescription sleeping pill and a tranquilizer, her manager, Anthony Anzaldo, revealed Wednesday.

Originally, it was reported that no illegal drugs were found in Chyna’s Redondo Beach, California, home, which is not surprising because she was prescribed the pills. Tragically, she did not use the pills properly, the LA Times noted.

Her manager insisted, however, the star’s death was not suicide. It was an accident. “You are not going to find 60 pills in her stomach,” Anzaldo said. He was adamant that she did not use illegal drugs.

Despite what her manager told the publication, an official ruling by a coroner has not yet been made. It could be months until a toxicology test reveals if she died from a drug overdose.

Days before her untimely death, Chyna was slated to appear on the A&E documentary-style show “Intervention,” where concerned friends and families try to get addicts to seek treatment. “An interventionalist was already lined up, as was a facility that was going to take her for 90 days,” Anzaldo told TMZ Monday. Some of her close friends from the WWE, like Mick Foley and Stone Cold Steve Austin, were going to participate in the intervention.

It was Anzaldo who discovered her unconscious in her bedroom. “I found her,” he said, adding he thought she died in her sleep. “She looked peaceful.”

Chyna’s brain will be donated to science to help research the degenerative brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy. CTE, which mimics Alzheimer’s symptoms, is caused by repeated hits to the head and has afflicted many former football players.