Cason Yeager dies from bacteria after swimming in Hernando

Updated: June 29, 2015
Cason Yeager dies from bacteria after swimming in Hernando

Cason Yeager, A Florida man recently died after he contracted a deadly bacteria while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico off the Florida coast earlier this month, according to his mother.

Cason Yeager, 26, was swimming 3km south of Pine Island Beach in Florida when his family believes he contracted the bacteria Vibrio Vulnificus. Just two days later he was dead.

“This has been a nightmare for me to say the least and nobody should have to go through this,” Yeager’s mum Karen Yeager told 10News.

However, the Lake County Medical Examiner reportedly determined that Yeager died of natural causes on June 16 after swimming in Weeki Wachee River.

According to this mother, Yeager was diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder 10 years ago, which would have made him more susceptible to the bacteria.

Vibrio Vulnificus lives in seawater and can cause disease in those who eat contaminated seafood or who have an open wound that is exposed to seawater. If ingested it can cause vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pain but the consequences for those with immuno-compromised systems are even more severe as it can infect the bloodstream.

“I’m not telling anyone don’t go into the water just do your due diligence and make sure that you’re not going to harm yourself,” his mother said.