- Jose Bautista punched in the jaw during huge brawl with Rangers – Watch
- NASCAR revises lug nut policy after Stewart’s criticism – Details
- Harden should’ve been called for foul on game-winner NBA says – Details
- Jason Whitlock calls Kobe Bryant a fraudulent celebrity athlete ‘Watch’
- Jason Heyward Bees Attack Delays Cubs-Mariners Game “Watch”
- Tray Walker: “Ravens cornerback” Dies of Injuries From Dirt Bike Crash, sad day for NFL
- Victor Cruz Willing To Accept Pay Cut To Stay With New York Giants “Details”
- Orioles ban pie celebrations due to safety concerns ‘Details’
- Marc Gasol: “Memphis Grizzlies center” out the rest of the season
- Vince Carter matches Drummond with impressive 3/4 court shot – Watch
Caroline Aherne dies at 52 after cancer battle “Details”
- Updated: July 4, 2016
Actress Caroline Aherne has died at the age of 52 after a battle with cancer.
She died at her home in Manchester in northern England Saturday, publicist Neil Reading said.
Her Royale Family character, Denise, might be called Britain’s answer the Peggy Bundy (Katy Sagal), the sofa-sitting neglectful mother from Fox’s Married With Children.
Aherne was a BAFTA award winner for her work on the sitcom. Before that, she’d had her own fake talk-show comedy, Mrs. Merton, in which she played a nosy grandma-like character who asked falsely sympathetic, insinuating questions of her guests.
Aherne had been treated for several forms of cancer and had drunk and smoked heavily. Like too other many comedians, also suffered from depression and attempted suicide in 1998.
British luminaries paid tribute on Twitter Saturday:
Oh God No. Caroline Aherne Rest in Peace Beautiful xxxxx
— Robbie Williams (@robbiewilliams) July 2, 2016
Absolutely devastating news about Caroline Aherne. A true comedy genius, her work was equally funny & touching. https://t.co/JwSULy25f7
— David Walliams (@davidwalliams) July 2, 2016