- Rougned Odor contract extension by giving him two horses
- Jose Bautista punched in the jaw during huge brawl with Rangers – Watch
- NASCAR revises lug nut policy after Stewart’s criticism – Details
- Harden should’ve been called for foul on game-winner NBA says – Details
- Jason Whitlock calls Kobe Bryant a fraudulent celebrity athlete ‘Watch’
- Jason Heyward Bees Attack Delays Cubs-Mariners Game “Watch”
- Tray Walker: “Ravens cornerback” Dies of Injuries From Dirt Bike Crash, sad day for NFL
- Victor Cruz Willing To Accept Pay Cut To Stay With New York Giants “Details”
- Orioles ban pie celebrations due to safety concerns ‘Details’
- Marc Gasol: “Memphis Grizzlies center” out the rest of the season
Bryce Dejean-Jones: Basketball Star dies from gunshot wound
- Updated: May 29, 2016
Bryce Dejean-Jones was fatally shot after breaking down the door to a Dallas apartment, authorities said Saturday.
Bryce Dejean-Jones kicked in the front door of the apartment and woke up the resident in his bedroom and failed to respond when the man called out.
The 23-year-old then kicked the bedroom door and was shot with a handgun. He collapsed in the apartment’s hallway and died at a hospital form a gunshot wound to his abdomen.
The shooting is under investigation, police said.
Dejean-Jones was “believed to be breaking into the apartment of an estranged acquaintance” but entered the wrong one, the apartment complex manager said in an email to residents obtained by Dallas NBC television station KXAS.
Dejean-Jones was reportedly in Dallas to celebrate his daughter’s birthday and got into an argument with the child’s mother before the shooting.
Dallas ABC television station WFAA quoted sources as saying that Dejean-Jones’ girlfriend lived in the apartment complex.
A 6-foot-6-inch (1.98-meter) guard from Iowa State University, Dejean-Jones had averaged 5.6 points and 3.4 rebounds in 14 games with the Pelicans.
He made his NBA debut in January. Dejean-Jones, a native of Los Angeles, had signed a multi-year contract with the New Orleans club in February.
“We are devastated at the loss of this young man’s life who had such a promising future ahead of him. Our thoughts and prayers are with Bryce’s family during this difficult time,” the team said in a statement.