Branson Riley Carlisle: Poisonous Spider Bites And Kills 5-Year-Old Boy

Updated: November 28, 2014
Branson Riley Carlisle

Branson Riley Carlisle, A 5-year-old boy from Alabama has passed away after suffering from a poisonous spider bite at his family’s home.

Branson Riley Carlisle, from Albertsville in Alabama, died in a hospital a few hours after he was bitten by the brown recluse spider on Sunday, reported TV Station WHNT.

Branson’s pastor, Jeff Stanford, told the station his family is devastated by the sudden and tragic death.

Mr Stanford added the family hires an exterminator to come to the house once a month but the spider – which has a venomous bite – came inside the home due to the recent bout of cold weather.

Dr. Alan Kitchens is an ER doctor at Marshall Medical Center South. He said they see people complaining of spider bites from time to time but most times that is not what is diagnosed.

He said unless you see the spider bite you, you may be unaware it has happened until you begin to see a legion on your skin. That’s when he said you need to seek medical attention.

Most of the time, it can be treated and heal. It is when people wait or do not seek medical attention that symptoms can worsen.

“Any type of reaction, perhaps passing out, dizziness, heart palpitations, or difficulty breathing, you need to seek medical help much quicker.” said Dr. Kitchens.

Dr. Kitchens said it is unlikely to know if you would have such a serious reaction to a spider bite but said getting early medical attention is key.

His funeral was held yesterday at Memory Hill Cemetery
Claudette DeMuth, director of marketing at Marshall Medical Center, said Branson’s family brought the spider to the hospital where it was inspected and identified.

‘It had the classic markings’ of a brown recluse, she told
‘He was a very sick young man.

‘It is a rare, rare situation for someone to die of a spider bite in our country.’

Last month, a 10-year-old Montana boy died two weeks after being bitten on the leg by the same type of spider

Keith Pierce was taken to hospital on September 30 after his leg started swelling up.