- Rougned Odor contract extension by giving him two horses
- Jose Bautista punched in the jaw during huge brawl with Rangers – Watch
- NASCAR revises lug nut policy after Stewart’s criticism – Details
- Harden should’ve been called for foul on game-winner NBA says – Details
- Jason Whitlock calls Kobe Bryant a fraudulent celebrity athlete ‘Watch’
- Jason Heyward Bees Attack Delays Cubs-Mariners Game “Watch”
- Tray Walker: “Ravens cornerback” Dies of Injuries From Dirt Bike Crash, sad day for NFL
- Victor Cruz Willing To Accept Pay Cut To Stay With New York Giants “Details”
- Orioles ban pie celebrations due to safety concerns ‘Details’
- Marc Gasol: “Memphis Grizzlies center” out the rest of the season
Borussia Dortmund attack: suspect held and another in focus
- Updated: April 12, 2017
Borussia Dortmund team bus attack: ‘Islamist’ suspect held.
Spanish defender Marc Bartra was injured in the blast, and underwent wrist surgery on Tuesday evening
German police have detained a suspect following Tuesday night’s explosion near Borussia Dortmund’s team bus.
The “Islamist” suspect is being held after three explosions detonated near the team bus as it was travelling to Signal Iduna Park for a Champions League quarter-final match against Monaco.
The game was called off and is scheduled to be played on Wednesday evening, while Dortmund defender Marc Bartra underwent surgery on a broken wrist after being the only person hurt in the blast.
A spokeswoman for Germany’s federal state prosecutor in Karlsruhe, Frauke Koehler, said: “Two suspects from the Islamist spectrum have become the focus of our investigation. Both of their apartments were searched, and one of the two has been detained.”
The police were investigating two letters found near the blast site that claimed responsibility for the attack.
The Chancellor of Germany, Angela Merkel, had earlier offered Dortmund words of encouragement after getting in touch with the club to express her support.
“Chancellor Angela Merkel got in touch with BVB CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke early Wednesday afternoon to offer her support,” a brief statement on the club’s official website reads.
“Merkel and Watzke discussed the situation in a lengthy phone conversation.
“The chancellor sees it as a positive sign that the team does not bow to terror and will play the match despite the difficult circumstances.
“She is continually staying up to date regarding the latest developments and keeps her fingers crossed for BVB on Wednesday evening.”
Dortmund club president Reinhard Rauball provided a positive update on Bartra’s surgery on Wednesday morning, telling n-tv: “We have heard that everything went well.”
CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke also visited the team prior to their morning training session and issued a rallying cry to everyone associated with the club.
“I have just told the team in the dressing room to show society that we will not bow to terror,” Watzke told the club’s website.
“The BVB family was particularly strong when it had to cope with difficult situations.
“This is perhaps the most difficult situation we have had in the past decades and I am sure that we will show ourselves as BVB as strong and united as never before.
“We do not just play for us. We play for everyone. No matter whether Borussian, Bavarian or Schalke.
“We want to show that terror and hatred can never determine our actions. And of course we play for Marc Bartra, who wants to see his team win!
“We ask all BVB fans to support our team with full energy for 90 minutes.”