Abdul Malik Abdul Kareem: Man accused of attempting to bomb Super Bowl XLIX “Watch”

Abdul Malik Abdul Kareem: Man accused of attempting to bomb Super Bowl XLIX

Abdul Malik Abdul Kareem, An alleged ISIS supporter from Arizona is accused of planning to bomb last year’s Super Bowl according to court documents obtained by CNN.

The Arizona man accused of training and arming two men who went on to attack a “draw Muhammad” cartoon contest in Garland allegedly gained access to an Islamic State list that included the names and addresses of U.S. service members, according to a new indictment.

The indictment, released this week, provides the clearest possible link yet between Abdul Malik Abdul Kareem, 44, and the terrorist group, which claimed credit for the attack. Although the indictment does not allege that Abdul Malik Abdul Kareem communicated directly with the group, the list of military members came from the Islamic State. That was enough to lead to charges that he provided material support to the Islamic State.

The Justice Department accuses Abdul Malik Abdul Kareem of traveling to the desert outside Phoenix to help Nadir Soofi, 34, and Elton Simpson, 30, practice with firearms from February 2014 to May 2015.

On May 3, dressed in body armor and armed with three pistols, three rifles and 1,500 rounds of ammunition, Soofi and Simpson opened fire outside the provocative cartoon contest in Garland, which featured mocking depictions of the prophet Muhammad. A security officer was wounded before they were killed by local police. Police found Islamic State flags printed on paper in their car.

Depictions of Muhammad are considered blasphemous under Islamic tradition. The cartoon contest was organized by the American Freedom Defense Initiative, which is led by conservative political personality Pamela Geller. The contest came five months after the terrorist attack on the Paris offices of the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo, which often published caricatures of Muhammad.

When authorities searched the Phoenix apartment of Soofi and Simpson, they found a handwritten note with a military member’s name, personal information and home address in Phoenix. The information came from a list maintained by the Islamic State, according to the indictment.

Abdul Malik Abdul Kareem, who remains in custody, was indicted in June on charges of conspiracy, transporting weapons across state lines and giving false statements to investigators. Prosecutors also say that at one point he considered an attack on the Super Bowl, which was held in Phoenix on Feb. 1.

On Wednesday, a grand jury handed down a new indictment that adds the charge of conspiracy to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization.

Cosme Lopez, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office in Phoenix, which is prosecuting Kareem, declined to say whether authorities believe the Garland attack was carried out on behalf of the Islamic State.

But the new indictment is the best look yet at allegations of how seriously Kareem believed in the Islamic State’s cause and the lengths he went to to transform Soofi and Simpson into jihadis.

Abdul Malik Abdul Kareem began in early February 2014, according to the indictment, by showing the two wartime video from Syria and Iraq. He went on to show them “videos depicting torture and executions” committed by the Islamic State and other terrorist organizations.

“While watching the videos, Abdul Malik Abdul Kareem exhorted and encouraged Simpson and Soofi to engage in violent activity in the United States to support [the Islamic State] and impose retribution for United States military actions in the Middle East,” the indictment says.

By October 2014, Simpson was posting Islamic State torture videos on Twitter.

While allegedly grooming the eventual shooters, the indictment says, Abdul Malik Abdul Kareem drove Soofi and Simpson to the desert outside Phoenix to practice with firearms. By December 2014, the three had advanced to trying to acquire pipe bombs, though the indictment doesn’t specify whom they contacted.

By Feb. 11 of this year, Abdul Malik Abdul Kareem began to host meetings in his Phoenix home, where the men allegedly chose their target: the Garland cartoon contest.

On March 20, Abdul Malik Abdul Kareem, according to the indictment, gained access to the Islamic State list of military members’ home addresses. The Islamic State has encouraged followers to use this information to kill U.S. service members; it’s unclear what Kareem, Soofi and Simpson had planned.

Seeking money to help support the attack, the indictment alleges, Abdul Malik Abdul Kareem faked having being struck by a car in a parking lot and tried to make an insurance claim.

The Justice Department did not return calls seeking comment. Abdul Malik Abdul Kareem’s attorney, Daniel Maynard, could not be reached by phone or email.

Maynard has previously said the case was trumped up and based largely on an unreliable confidential informant. He has sought to stop prosecutors from using al-Qaeda promotional materials found in Abdul Malik Abdul Kareem’s possession as evidence during his trial.

Sportact Editors and Wire Services

  • HappyJohn9

    Looks like the Islamic/Moslem terrorists are being “peaceful” again. That was sarcasm.
    Maybe Abdul Malik Abdul Kareem is simply trying to move up the ranks in Obama’s citizen army. That was NOT sarcasm.